Globally, millions of people suffer from the dreadful disease of cancer. Both receiving a cancer diagnosis and undergoing treatment can be extremely difficult. Cancer treatment is crucial for battling the illness, but it can also be physically taxing. It can be difficult to eat and maintain a healthy diet because of the side effects of chemotherapy and radiation therapy for cancer, such as nausea, vomiting, and fatigue. But for the body to heal and recover during cancer treatment, good nutrition is crucial. Let’s discuss the importance of maintaining a healthy diet during cancer treatment and how cancer patients can do so in the article that follows.
Why is Good Nutrition Important During Cancer Treatment?
Everyone needs a healthy diet, but cancer patients need it more than anyone. The body's capacity to absorb nutrients from food can be adversely affected by side effects of cancer treatments like chemotherapy and radiation therapy. Due to malnutrition brought on by these side effects, the body may become weaker and find it more difficult to fight the illness. During treatment, cancer patients who eat well can maintain their health overall, strength, and energy. Additionally, it can enhance the quality of life for patients and lessen the side effects of cancer treatment.
What Should Cancer Patients Eat During Treatment?
For cancer patients, a well-balanced diet that incorporates food from all groups is ideal. A healthy diet for cancer patients should include:
- Fruits and Vegetables: Antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients found in fruits and vegetables are crucial for maintaining good health. At least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables are compulsory for cancer patients.
- Whole Grains: Fiber from whole grains is a great source for regulating digestion and preventing constipation. Patients with cancer should consume whole grains such as brown rice, and whole wheat bread.
- Lean Protein: Protein is essential for repairing and building tissues in the body. Cancer patients should aim to eat lean protein sources like fish, chicken, turkey, beans, and tofu.
- Healthy Fats: Aim to eat wholesome fats like avocados, seeds, and olive oil if you have cancer. Healthy fats can help the body heal itself by reducing inflammation.
What Should Cancer Patients Avoid During Treatment?
Cancer patients should avoid certain foods during treatment, including:
- Processed Foods: Salt, sugar, and unhealthy fats are frequently in abundance in processed foods. These foods can worsen the side effects of cancer treatment by causing more inflammation in the body.
- Sugary Drinks: Sugary beverages such as soda and sports drinks can be calorie and sugar dense. These beverages should be avoided by cancer patients in favour of water, herbal tea, or low-sugar beverages.
- Alcohol: Drinking alcohol can impair immunity and make it more difficult for the body to fight off infections. During treatment for cancer, patients should abstain from alcohol.
Cancer Treatment in Mumbai: Best Cancer Clinic and Doctor
Cancer treatment in Mumbai has come a long way in recent years, with many world-class cancer clinics and doctors available to provide top-notch care. One of the best cancer clinics in Mumbai is the Cancer Surgery Clinic. In addition to the importance of good nutrition during cancer treatment and the best cancer doctor in Mumbai, there are some other factors that cancer patients should consider to maintain good nutrition during treatment. In the following content, we will discuss some practical tips for cancer patients to maintain good nutrition during treatment.
Practical Tips for Cancer Patients to Maintain Good Nutrition During Treatment
- Eat Small, Regular Meals: Eating small, regular meals can help to ease nausea and enhance digestion. Instead of eating three large meals a day, cancer patients should strive to eat five to six smaller meals each day.
- Keep Hydrated: Drinking lots of water and other liquids can help digestion and lessen the risk of dehydration. Cancer patients should aim to drink at least eight glasses of water per day.
- Supplement if Necessary: Cancer patients may need to take supplements to help meet their nutritional needs during treatment. Supplements like multivitamins, vitamin D, and iron can be beneficial, but patients should check with their doctor before taking any supplements.
- Ask for Help: Cancer patients may need help with meal preparation, grocery shopping, and other tasks related to maintaining good nutrition. Patients should not hesitate to ask for help from family, friends, or healthcare professionals.
- Stay Positive: Keeping a positive outlook during treatment for cancer can assist patients in maintaining a healthy diet. Patients should try to stay optimistic, set small goals, and celebrate progress.
Maintaining good nutrition during cancer treatment is essential for maintaining good health and reducing the side effects of cancer treatment. Cancer patients can also benefit from practical tips like eating small, frequent meals, staying hydrated, supplementing if necessary, asking for help, and staying positive. By following these tips, cancer patients can maintain good nutrition and improve their overall health and well-being during treatment.