Our gallbladder is one of the most prominent organs in our body. It stores bile, which is a digestive fluid produced by the liver and aids digestion. The gallbladder is a small, pear-shaped organ that lies below the liver on the right side of the abdomen.
Gallbladder cancer occurs when multiple numbers of cancer cells start growing in the bladder area. It is possible to treat gallbladder cancers at an early stage. However, this kind of cancer does not show significant symptoms in the early stages and is mostly discovered in the last stages.
What are the symptoms of gallbladder cancers?
Gallbladder cancer usually looks for certain significant changes in the body of the patients. Some of the symptoms that they look for include:
- Yellowing of the skin and the eyes as in the case of jaundice
- Consistent pain in the upper right of the abdomen
- Bloating of the abdomen area
- Fever and nausea
- Consistent losing weight
What are the risk factors for having gallbladder cancer?
Gallbladder cancers are uncommon and there might be certain risk factors that may lead an individual to gallbladder cancers. However, there are efficient gallbladder cancer surgeons in Mumbai who can help you in combating this type of cancer.
Some of the factors are:
- In most cases, gallbladder cancer occurs in women.
- Age also plays a predominant role. The risk of gallbladder cancer increases with age.
- People who in the past have suffered from gallstones are at risk of developing gallbladder cancer.
Other risk factors include:
- Consumption of an unhealthy diet
- Habits of smoking
- Suffering from inflammation and gallbladder infections etc.
How is gallbladder cancer diagnosed?
In these initial stages, gallbladder cancers do not show significant symptoms. The symptoms are normal and might indicate other illnesses as well. As the disease progresses, it starts showing certain symptoms and a variety of tests are conducted before cancer surgeons in Mumbai perform surgery to remove the gall bladder. Let’s briefly discuss the entire process.
- Initially, the gallbladder cancer surgeons conduct a physical examination and look at the visible symptoms like yellowing of skin and eyes.
- Certain blood tests are conducted like liver function tests, counting the number of cells in the blood, measuring the CEA levels, etc.
- There are also certain imaging tests like CT scan, chest X-ray, abdominal ultrasound, endoscopic ultrasound, etc. that are done.
- The other relevant tests include biopsy and laparoscopy.
What are the different treatment options available?
There are different treatment options available. It might depend on the patient's age, the extent of cancer, and other factors as to which treatment option the cancer doctors in Mumbai will choose. Let’s discuss some of the treatment options:
- Surgery: The gallbladder and the nearby tissue areas are removed with the help of surgery through a process known as cholecystectomy.
- Radiation: Radiation therapy is aimed at using radiation and directing them at the cancer cells to kill them.
- Chemotherapy: It is either injected or taken orally and is a kind of drug which is used to stop the cancer cells from multiplying further.
This article covers gallbladder cancer symptoms, causes, diagnosis, and treatments. If you want to know more about stomach cancer treatment in Mumbai, visit www.cancersurgeryclinic.com