Oncologists are doctors who specialize in the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of cancer. Usually, cancer treatment requires a combination of various modalities such as chemotherapy, surgery, and radiation. For each modality, there is a specialist doctor who works as per the requirement of the treatment line designed for the patient. Medical oncologists treat the patient using chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, target therapy, etc. At times cancer patients require localized radiation therapy which is taken by the radiation oncologist. A surgical oncologist is a specialist who performs surgery for the treatment of a disease.
Role of a surgical oncologist in the treatment of cancer!
According to a top oncologist in Mumbai, surgical oncologists work in coordination with a medical oncologist to treat cancer. They are involved in various stages of cancer treatment right from diagnosis to removal of cancer cells, to helping patients feel better by relieving the symptoms.
- 1. Prevent the occurrence of cancer! If you are someone who has a family history of a particular kind of cancer like breast cancer, ovarian cancer, or esophagus cancer then a surgical oncologist can perform surgery to remove those precancerous tissues and prevent the occurrence of cancer in that area.
- 2. Performs Biopsy! According to specialists doing the best oncology treatment in Mumbai, surgical oncologists play an important role in the diagnosis of cancer. On the occurrence of a tumor or some other kind of growth in your body, a surgical oncologist remove small tissue from that growth and observe it under the microscope to detect whether it is cancerous or not. This process is called a biopsy and it is an important process in the treatment of cancer.
- 3. Detect the severity of cancer! According to the best oncologist in Mumbai, the severity of cancer or its phase can also be detected using surgery. Surgical oncologists perform surgery to see the size of the tumor and whether it is spread to other parts of the body or in the lymph nodes or any other organ.
- 4. Palliative surgery! Palliative surgery is mainly performed to ease the symptoms of cancer. At times it is very difficult to perform surgery and remove the entire cancer, however surgical oncologists can do palliative surgery to ease the symptoms and give some relief to the patient. For example, if a tumor is too big to be removed surgically and it is pressing some nerve or bone in the body, causing pain to the patient, doctors can perform surgery to relieve that pain.
- 5. Cosmetic procedures to restore your pre-surgery look! After cancer surgery, your body looks different than what it used to look. You start feeling differently about your body and it can also lead to a loss of self-esteem and depression. A surgical oncologist performs cosmetic surgery procedures to restore the look and function of the area affected by cancer. In this way, even after the surgery, you can get hold of your self-esteem and confidence like before.
Is Surgery an effective option for the treatment of cancer?
According to experts at the best oncology treatment in Mumbai, surgery works the best for cancers or tumors which are localized in one part of the body and are not spread everywhere. In such cases, oncologists can easily perform surgery and remove the entire tumor and the neighboring tissues to prevent the reoccurrence of cancer. It works best in cancers like breast cancer, ovarian cancer, lung cancer, esophagus cancer, thyroid cancer, throat cancer, gallbladder cancer, kidney cancer, and liver cancer. Skin cancer, pancreas cancer, spine cancer, uterus cancer, bone cancer, and colon cancer.
Cost of surgery for cancer treatment!
There are many variable factors involved in calculating the cost of cancer surgery.
- 1. Firstly, the type of surgery and severity of the disease will decide how much the surgery is going to cost you.
- 2. Apart from that number of specialists involved in the procedure will also be an important deciding factor in the cost.
- 3. Another very important factor is anesthesia. Whether you will be given local, regional or general anesthesia will affect the cost of the surgery.
- 4. Where the surgery is taking place will also play an important role in deciding the cost of the surgery. Here you need to take the medical facility that your insurance covers under consideration.
- 5. How long you will have to stay in the hospital will also add to the cost of the surgery.
If you are looking for the best oncology treatment in Mumbai, then Cancer Surgery Clinic is one of the best options available to you in the city. Dr. Ganesh Nagarajan and his team are committed to giving nothing less than the best in terms of treatment, infrastructure, and mental support to the patients and their families. They have state-of-the-art infrastructure to give the best treatment of hepatobiliary pancreatic and gastrointestinal cancer. They believe that there are multiple modalities of cancer treatment, but it is the right sequencing of these modalities which can affect the overall outcome. Experts at Cancer Surgery Clinic are skilled in perfect diagnosis and the right sequencing of treatment modalities.